Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Easel

 
We recently attended a baptism and I just wanted to share the experience. There were actually 25 baptisms within our mission on that day and it was a blessing to be a part of at least two of them. The young couple who were being baptized had made some huge changes in their lives. When the missionaries told them about the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, they knew it was true. When the missionaries asked them if they wanted to be baptized, they asked "how soon?" And when the missionaries told them about repentance, the law of chastity, and about being clean inside and out, they quickly took the necessary steps to fix their past mistakes.
Their baptism was very simple. There was no piano playing as we sang the hymns, there was no microphone to hear every word of the given talks, but the spirit was there. On the table in the front of the room was a picture of Jesus Christ. There was no easel to hold the picture, but someone had taken a shoe box lid, covered it in wrapping paper, and taped it to the back of the picture to prop it up. It was the most humble and simple of things, and I cried as we sang, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives." I looked at the picture and thought of how perfect He is and how He doesn't care if we have flowers or posters or handouts  or easels. All He wants is for us to be like this sweet couple - to know it is true, to take the necessary steps to fix the past, and to have the attitude of "how soon" can we enjoy the blessings of His Gospel.

2 comments:

  1. Love this. What a good lesson about what is important. You are having lots of neat experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister Tye,

    I just found this website. It looks wonderful- I know my parents would have absolutely loved anything like this while I was a missionary, especially all the pictures of the missionaries for their parents to look at. I served in Manila mission 15 years ago, though I imagine I would have been in your mission as 5 of my 6 areas were in Cavite (General Trias, Dasmarinas 2nd, Novaleta, Silang, and the now-defunct (?) Tagaytay branch). May the work continue to roll forward among the wonderful Filipinos. Thanks for your service and enjoy the time- it goes by way too fast.

    Jonathan Allen

    ReplyDelete