Saturday, March 14, 2015

Teaching With Sister Missionaries

Today was the Saturday sessions of District Conference in Naic. President had a few meetings that I am not invited to, so I had 3 hours of free time before the Adult Session started. There is nothing better than missionary work - so I spent my free hours teaching with the sisters. I LOVED IT! 
We met at the church and then took a trike to the Barangay where the sisters had appointments. A Barangay is a neighborhood that usually has a Barangay captain who acts as security for the neighborhood. These men know everyone who lives within the neighborhood.
 
Sister Ortile and I are squeezed into the trike. Sister Manu is sitting outside and behind the driver. It cost us 20 pesos each to ride the trike - $1.30. 
Once we arrived at the Barangay, I followed the sisters as we walked through the narrow streets and visited with a few less active members. This is one of those times that I desperately wish I could speak Tagalog. During each lesson, I was given a chance to bear my testimony - in English. It's a great experience to feel the power of the Holy Ghost take over and communicate to others the things you are saying. Language is not a problem for the Holy Ghost! 
I thought of this scripture in Ether 5:4, " . . . and the testimony of three and this work, in the which shall be shown forth the power of God and also his word, of which the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost bear record . . ." I know the three of Them were with the three of us as we taught!

Today we were visiting less actives. How wonderful it would be to have active members of a ward or branch go with the missionaries, and not only bear their testimony of the gospel during the visit, but become a friend to the less active. A friend who would invite them to church, sit with them, and love them. Missionaries and members - the Power of Three!

I was in some very humble places today. Many people were busy taking care of daily chores like washing clothes, cooking, and sweeping their homes. Children were playing basketball and had a few simple toys to keep them occupied. The three of us got a lot of attention as we walked through the Barangay, and it was because of the "big white American lady" that accompanied the sister missionaries. 
 
 At this home, we had a group of about 8 children waiting to listen to our message. We were teaching their mother, the father is already a member. Before we started, they gathered a stack of Book of Mormon's and passed them out to everyone. This little girl is sitting and waiting for us to begin.
 
 This father is washing the family clothes.
 
 
 
 Notice how the basketball stand is made.
 Children working and playing as we walk by.
I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to work with the sister missionaries and I can't wait to do it again.
 
 
A great experience ends with a great lunch at McDo's - :)

4 comments:

  1. I LOVED the pictures in this post! It is great to see the community and the people and lifestyle and all. Thank you Sister Tye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our daughter Sister Eddington constantly expresses her love for you and your teaching. Thank you for all you do, especially to support the sisters in the Cavite mission.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, Sister Tye. It inspires me more to be a full-time Sister missionary soon! :) It is so great to see how the Lord's hands help us each day to be lead to the precious souls who haven't heard the gospel and members who are less active.
    You're a great Mission Mom in Philippines Cavite Mission! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I loved these pictures, sister Tye! I felt happy seeing you were working with these mighty missionaries. I missed you all! :-D

    ReplyDelete